Notarial services offered
Debenhams Ottaway does not itself provide clients with notarial services. However, notarial services are offered to clients by certain lawyers who work at the firm as set out below:
Name: Jonathan Foy, Notary Public (via Jonathan Foy Limited)
Principal address: Ivy House, 107 St Peter’s Street, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 3EW
Telephone: 01727 800303 or 07946 421315
Name: Ruth Boulton, Notary Public
Principal address: 48 Watling Street, Radlett, Hertfordshire, WD7 7NN
Telephone: 07899 942160
What is a notary public?
A notary public:
- is often (but not always) a solicitor who has obtained an additional notarial qualification;
- is an officer of the law who holds an internationally recognised public office and is a member of the oldest branch of the legal profession in England and Wales; and
- is often engaged by clients with personal or business needs with an international element.
What does a notary public do?
The principal duties of a notary public are to provide independent proof of documents, transactions and facts, to satisfy the legal requirements of overseas authorities. This includes:
- Administering oaths, affidavits and statutory declarations for foreign jurisdictions.
- Applying for the legalisation of documents at UK-based foreign embassies or at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Attesting the signature and execution of documents.
- Attesting powers of attorney and other documents for use in foreign countries.
- Certifying copies of passports and other documents.
- Providing notarised copies of documents.
The above are qualified solicitors and in respect of the non-notarial work which they carry out on behalf of Debenhams Ottaway, they are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Their notarial work is carried out separately and is regulated pursuant to the Legal Services Act 2007 by the Master of The Faculties through the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The professional rules for notaries can be accessed either on The Faculty Office website (www.facultyoffice.org.uk) or the Notaries Society website (www.thenotariessociety.org.uk).
For the purposes of the notarial services which the abovementioned notaries supply, Debenhams Ottaway’s terms of service and privacy notice do not apply; please instead refer to the terms of business and privacy notice of the relevant notary public published on their website (or which are otherwise available on request).