We are looking for a contentious trusts and probate specialist to join Hertfordshire’s leading Wills, trusts and probate team. They need to be passionate about this area and would play an integral role in helping key clients and taking this team, one of the largest and most experienced in Hertfordshire ranked top in both Legal 500 and Chambers HNW, to the next level.
The role will involve:
- Advising on all areas of contentious trusts and probate such as:
- Removing executors or trustees
- Making a claim against an executor or trustees
- Defending claims by beneficiaries
- Challenging a Will or the terms of a Trust
- Inheritance Act claims
- Court of Protection and succession disputes
- Power of Attorney disputes
- Liaising with third parties, experts and other specialists
- An ability to build effective and positive relationships with clients, referrers and colleagues that embrace the importance of trust and collaboration
- Supervising junior members of staff
- Proactive marketing and business development to secure further work for the team.
About the team:
The Wills, trusts and probate team consists of four partners, four senior associates, two associates, five solicitors, a court of protection manager and four legal assistants. Whilst this allows us to look after the needs of a vast number of Hertfordshire families, what sets us apart is our appeal to wealthy clients in London and the rest of the UK and those looking for a specialist trusts team.
Our team is grouped into three main areas:
- Lifetime planning, including Lasting Powers of Attorney, Court of Protection (COP) and professional deputyship services and the protection of vulnerable adults.
- Protecting and managing wealth now and in the future through inheritance tax, estate planning, Wills and estate administration.
- Trusts, with a dedicated trusts team of specialist lawyers to help clients set up and administer trusts.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience of working in a contentious probate role
- A working knowledge of contested trusts and probate best practice and a good understanding of the inheritance act
- Good team player to include liaising with other teams
- IT skills – use of a case management would be ideal
- Experience of efficient working practices such as electronic filing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skills and an enthusiasm to grow and develop this area of work
- Excellent client relationship skills
- An industry specific accreditation or qualification such as ACTAPS or SFE would be ideal
A little more about Debenhams Ottaway:
Debenhams Ottaway is a progressive law firm with a long history and a reputation built on providing outstanding service and legal advice. Based in the heart of St Albans with a London presence, we help individuals, families and businesses in Hertfordshire, London and across the UK.
We believe passionately in building long term relationships with our clients and people. Our teams of talented and ambitious people work together to help clients succeed. This is an opportunity to join an exciting and demanding work environment that offers support and guidance to help everyone achieve their best. Our career framework provides the opportunity to learn and develop in a structured but flexible way.
If you have the energy and imagination to make a difference and share our values, then Debenhams Ottaway is the perfect fit for your next challenge.
To apply for the role please send your CV to the Debenhams Ottaway Recruitment Team – firstname.lastname@example.org
We operate a preferred supplier list for all permanent, contract and temporary recruitment.
If you are interested in being part of our PSL, please email us and we will supply you with a copy of our terms.
We ask you not to send CVs or terms of business to or make contact with our staff, management or partners outside of HR, unless you have been authorised by our HR team to do so.
Any CVs sent contrary to this policy will will not be accepted as introductions in accordance with any terms of business that are sent to us and/or our terms. We reserve the right to make direct contact with the candidate without entering into your TOB. Agencies who are part of our PSL found bypassing this process may result in us terminating our working relationship with you.
All CVs need to be sent to Zahra Solomon at our recruitment email address – email@example.com