We are looking for a facilities apprentice to ensure the smooth day to day running of the facilities function.
This is a full time role and the hours to be covered are 8.30am to 6pm and until 8pm on Wednesdays.
Activities will be varied and will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for the daily receiving-in, sorting and dispatch of Royal Mail post.
- Collection and delivery of DX to the DX Hub via own transport for large/heavy items.
- Responsible for all other incoming/outgoing deliveries.
- Franking all outgoing post and ensure franking machine is adequately maintained and loaded with sufficient funds.
- Detailed sorting, distribution, and delivery (both physical and digital) of legal and other mail.
Daily banking procedures
- Log all incoming cheques on the register.
- Complete register of cheques banked daily including a physical drop off to the bank with completed paying-in books.
- Distribute cheques in line with set deadlines.
Stationery and business supplies
- Regular stock takes of stationery and ink cartridges to ensure appropriate levels are maintained.
- Place weekly orders as necessary to include cost comparisons and checking invoices.
- Order new and replacement business cards.
- Ensure sufficient catering supplies such as tea, coffee and biscuits.
- Ensure adequate stock of hygiene products around the buildings.
- Ad hoc requested as approved by the Facilities Manager which may include online ordering or picking up.
- Monitor Facilities inbox on a regular basis and responding to general requests in a timely manner.
- Provide photocopying support to all teams as required.
- Assist with office moves to include physical set up of new starter desks and ensure that floor plans are updated.
- Updating central company property register or company asset log with movements of facilities equipment and office furniture across buildings.
- Setting up of client and staff meetings, room layouts in accordance with staff requests and liaison with IT as necessary.
- With reception, ensure that client and communal areas are clean and tidy including:
- Providing refreshments to clients in meeting rooms.
- Clearing meeting rooms of all crockery, glasses, water bottles etc immediately after the meeting is finished, tidying chairs, pads, pens etc.
- Ensuring telephone lists/Wifi codes are up to date.
- Ensuring cleanliness of buildings to include, the areas around the front and back doors to the office are free of litter and leaves, washrooms and kitchens.
- Ordering and setting up of catering in accordance with staff requests, to include time to clear away.
- Reserving car parking spaces on request.
- Cleaning coffee machines on each floor on a regular basis.
- Ensure printers are kept loaded with paper throughout the day.
- Transportation of goods between offices and where necessary to other locations i.e. remote workers.
- Run weekly fire alarm test.
- Provide St Albans and Radlett reception cover (in line with their job descriptions) when requested.
- Cover for other Facilities Assistants during holiday or sickness absence.
- Admin support to other areas within PSG when requested i.e. uploading intranet documents, name badges for events etc.
- Late night reception cover on Wednesdays.
Storage and file retrieval
- Log all files for digital storage and liaise with The Cabinet Office for collections and destruction of hard copy files.
- Request files and deeds to be recalled from Stephens.
- Log all files, deeds and Wills to be sent to Stephens for hard copy storage.
- Assist in the locating of old files and deeds.
Faults and repairs
- Act as the first point of contact in relation to faulty refreshment equipment (e.g. coffee machines) and liaison with engineers.
- Support Facilities manager with any maintenance projects.
- Update and maintain electronic site maintenance log as necessary.
- Undertake building inspections in accordance with checklists to include acting as a health and safety representative by identifying any concerns/issues throughout the building and raising this with the relevant person.
- Undertake property inspections at various properties around Hertfordshire and the surrounding areas as directed by the Head of Facilities and Property Management.
- Complete audit reports of properties for Private Client Department to include properties that are unoccupied or for clients who are in long term care, using discretion at all times.
Skills and attributes:
- A full clean driving licence and access to a car is essential
- Computer literacy in relevant software packages (Word, Excel & Outlook)Good written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Capable of prioritising different and sometimes conflicting demands either on own initiative or through manager’s support
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Reliable with good time keeping and punctuality
- Flexible attitude to work
- Capable of manual handling
- Takes initiative to find work in quiet periods
- Ability to follow instructions given
- Ability to cope with pressure and maintain a calm manner at all times
- Service driven and willing to ‘go the extra mile’ for internal and external clients
To apply for the role please send your CV to the Debenhams Ottaway Recruitment Team – email@example.com
We operate a preferred supplier list for all permanent, contract and temporary recruitment.
If you are interested in being part of our PSL, please email us and we will supply you with a copy of our terms.
We ask you not to send CVs or terms of business to or make contact with our staff, management or partners outside of HR, unless you have been authorised by our HR team to do so.
Any CVs sent contrary to this policy will will not be accepted as introductions in accordance with any terms of business that are sent to us and/or our terms. We reserve the right to make direct contact with the candidate without entering into your TOB. Agencies who are part of our PSL found bypassing this process may result in us terminating our working relationship with you.
All CVs need to be sent to Zahra Solomon at our recruitment email address – firstname.lastname@example.org