Our growing corporate team packs a punch and enjoys an excellent reputation in the market, including in the key legal directories (Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500). The breadth of our practice is wide – we cover a number of different areas, including M&A, investments, corporate advisory, constitutional work and banking and finance, working across multiple sectors. We are routinely instructed on complex, high value matters which larger firms (including City practices) are normally instructed to advise on and we pride ourselves on delivering an excellent standard of client service.
Our goal is to make the most of the abundance of opportunities available to us. The successful candidate will have the chance to be an integral part of the team’s future success and will enjoy a level of supervision and career development opportunities which are seldom available in private practice.
The successful candidate will get involved in all aspects of corporate work and will be a key driver in delivering on and developing the opportunities available to the team.
Day to day responsibilities will include:
- Working as an extension of clients’ businesses to provide practical, commercial advice with their business needs and objectives in mind.
- Undertaking both transactional and non-transactional work.
- Taking responsibility for service levels and proactively developing and maximising client relationships.
- Carrying out legal research.
- Undertaking business development activities – e.g., attending networking events, meeting with referrers, writing blogs, LinkedIn and other social media profile raising, etc.
- Collaborating with colleagues within the wider firm and supporting their clients’ needs.
- Potential to supervise more junior members of staff (depending upon experience).
Skills and attributes
- A minimum of 4-years’ PQE with a high level of corporate technical knowledge across different sectors and a genuine enthusiasm to focus on corporate work.
- Creative problem-solving ability and commercial insight.
- Critical thinking.
- A client-centred focus.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- A can-do, motivated and positive attitude.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
At Debenhams Ottaway, we are passionate about delivering high quality services for the clients we work with. Our people are experts in their field, and we pride ourselves on providing professional, trustworthy and reliable advice. We understand that, in order to do that, we need great people.
Set in the heart of St Albans, Hertfordshire, we have built a reputation for providing outstanding services and supporting a variety of clients from high profile businesses, local individuals and families throughout the region and further afield. Our people are the key to our success and have created an inclusive, friendly, warm and collaborative working environment with a focus on individual wellbeing. We strongly believe in developing them, by providing challenging work, support and structured development. With growth on the horizon for us, it is an exciting time to join our firm!
To apply for the role please send your CV to the Debenhams Ottaway Recruitment Team – email@example.com
We operate a preferred supplier list for all permanent, contract and temporary recruitment.
If you are interested in being part of our PSL, please email us and we will supply you with a copy of our terms.
We ask you not to send CVs or terms of business to or make contact with our staff, management or partners outside of HR, unless you have been authorised by our HR team to do so.
Any CVs sent contrary to this policy will will not be accepted as introductions in accordance with any terms of business that are sent to us and/or our terms. We reserve the right to make direct contact with the candidate without entering into your TOB. Agencies who are part of our PSL found bypassing this process may result in us terminating our working relationship with you.
All CVs need to be sent to Zahra Solomon at our recruitment email address – firstname.lastname@example.org