We represented an 8 year old boy via his litigation friend in a complicated multi party mediation concerning the estate of his late father. Multiple claims were made under the Inheritance (Provision for Family & Dependants Act) 1975. The dispute involved:-
- 13 individuals;
- three (possibly four) separate competing claims;
- a deceased (estate) with a history of three marriages, the first two ending upon divorce, the third upon death;
- multiple step-families, two protected parties (one an infant, and one a disabled adult child of the deceased);
- one commercial and seven residential rental properties/units; and
- a self-represented litigant.
The matter was further complicated by the impact of the Brexit referendum and the property market turmoil impacting the efforts to market the largest estate asset – commercial investment property in London. Additional complicating factors included inheritance tax liability of over £500,000 under the Will as originally structured.
The case successfully resolved after a lengthy mediation and following the court approval of the settlement on behalf of the infant party and protected party.
Matter value: £2.3m