• Posted

Want to enforce a county court judgment, only have an address and don’t know what assets the debtor has?

If the judgment debt is over £600, an effective way to try and make a debtor pay is to instruct High Court Enforcement.

High Court Enforcement will attend the Judgment debtor’s address to demand payment and have the authority to seize assets they believe to belong to the debtor if payment is not made.

Frequently asked questions

What is the difference between a bailiff and a debt collector?
A bailiff has special legal powers to remove and sell your goods to pay a debt.

Where can bailiffs visit?
Bailiffs have a right to visit you at your home and if you are self-employed, any place you run your business.

When can bailiffs visit?
Bailiffs can visit any day of the week between 6am and 9pm.

How successful is High Court Enforcement?
High Court Enforcement has a higher success rate compared to other enforcement methods. This is because they work on commission, so success is in their best interests! Debtors are also more likely to pay due to the embarrassment of having agents come to their home and out of fear of losing their assets.

This article was written by Sophie Taylor, a legal assistant in our debt recovery team. For more information about high court enforcement, contact slt@debenhamsottaway.co.uk or call 01727 735632.

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.