If you are injured in an accident in a shop, restaurant, hotel, supermarket, gym or any type of premises which is privately owned, and the accident was not your fault, we can assist you with claiming compensation.

An occupier of premises has a duty to take reasonable care to ensure the safety of visitors.

Common accidents due to occupiers’ negligence include tripping or slipping due to a hazard, injury due to unsafe conditions and/or faulty equipment, or injury due to failure to provide warning signs.

Compensation is claimed from the occupier’s public liability insurance company, and the aim of making a claim is to compensate you for the injuries that you have suffered (physical and emotional), and to put you back in the position you were before you had the accident.

For example, your injuries may be so severe that you have been unable to go to work, and you may have lost earnings as a result. You may have incurred other losses and expenses as a result of the injury, such as travelling expenses to and from medical appointments, prescription charges and the cost of medical treatment. We can assist you with claiming any losses and expenses back. It is important that you keep hold of receipts if you would like to make any claims for losses and expenses.

In order to make a personal injury claim, we need to prove that you were a lawful visitor to the premises, and the occupier breached the duty of care that is owed to you as a lawful visitor. We also need to prove that the accident caused your injuries. We therefore obtain medical reports from Consultants and experts in their fields in order to provide your case.

If you are involved in an accident, it is important to try and obtain details of the owner or management of the premises where your accident occurred, their full name or organisation name, contact details, and if possible, details of their public liability insurance details. It is also useful to obtain names and contact details of any witnesses to the accident, as they may be able to provide key evidence in your case, especially if liability is in dispute.

If the occupier has an accident book, they may ask you to sign it. At the very least you should check that your accident has been noted, or an accident report has been prepared. It is useful for us if you try and obtain a copy of the accident report, as it provides key evidence that the accident took place.

Please note that there are strict time limits on making personal injury claims. You must make the claim by the third anniversary of your accident. Claims for children are slightly different, in that they have up until their 21st birthday to make the claim, however our advice is still to avoid any delays, as the longer you wait, the more difficult it may become to prove that the accident caused the injuries.

If you have been involved in an accident in a place where you were a lawful visitor that was not your fault, contact us today and a member of our personal injury team will help you with your claim.