Tom joined the commercial property team in March 2018 having previously worked for a highly regarded multi-disciplinary and multi-office firm.
Tom prides himself on being an approachable and dependable solicitor. Client feedback highlights that Tom is “pragmatic and commercial in his dealings” and “helpful and considerate” in his approach. Tom advises a wide range of clients including property investors, developers, borrowers, lenders, pension funds, charities and ecclesiastical polity.
Tom advises on transactional aspects of commercial property law such as:
- Acting on the sales and acquisitions of commercial property and land;
- Acting for lenders, borrowers and guarantors in financing and refinancing arrangements;
- Acting for land owners and developers in promotion agreements, option agreements, overage deeds, pre-emption agreements and conditional contracts;
- Acting for landlords and tenants in relation to new leases, existing leases, lease renewals, lease extensions and a wide range of licenses; and
- Acting on complex and high-value residential property matters.
Work highlights include:
- Advising a major high street lender on the £7.6m refinancing of a portfolio of seven mixed use properties.
- Acting on the purchase of a residential property for £7.5m located on the Crown Estate, Oxshott.
- Representing a high-profile social media marketing company simultaneously surrender the lease of its existing headquarters and purchase a lease of its new headquarters for a reverse premium of £1.5m.
- Acting for a local authority granting a 125-year lease of their land to a property developer in order to construct a General Practitioner surgery.
- Acting for the trustees of a pension scheme in the purchase of a 999-year lease of a retail premises for a premium of £1.1m.
- Acting for a renowned travel operator on the lease renewal of their head office.
- Represented the office holder of an insolvent estate, being one of the major accountancy firms, on the winding up of a property company involving the disposal of three residential properties and associated land.
Tom is a member of:
- Hertfordshire Junior Lawyers Division
- The Law Society
Tom Marshall's news
As technology has developed, so have the different methods to establish a legal relationship by electronic means. The introduction of electronic signatures (e-signatures) using a cryptographic system has been a…
The RICS code for leasing business premises was issued on 12 February 2020 and will become enforceable on 1 September 2020. What is the RICS Code? The Code is the…
These are unprecedented times. For many businesses rent is one of the most, if not the most, significant outgoing. If your business has been affected by Covid19 and the associated…
These are unprecedented times. For many businesses rent is one of the most, if not the most, significant outgoing. Some tenants will not have funds to make rent payments. Others…
High-street banking has changed drastically over the past decade. According to the consumer group, Which? more than a third of the UK’s bank branches have closed within the past five…
As a small group of residents, finding ourselves in urgent need of representation in a very unusual land purchase situation, we were very impressed by Tom Marshall’s ability to provide fast and effective advice. He was clear in all his communication, keeping us all regularly informed during a fast moving situation. We would highly recommend him and Debenhams Ottaway for exceptional customer service.
Tom dealt with a sale of the three residential properties and associated land for me. The sale had the potential to be problematic and time-consuming, however Tom was able to deal with all the queries and issues that arose efficiently and commercially, leading to the sale completing with minimal disruption.
Tom dealt with the purchase of a high-value property purchased in the Crown Estate, Oxshott. I am a property investor and retailer. I have used many different law firms but I have found Tom always provides me with the service that I require and he takes the time to answer or return my calls in a prompt manner. The transaction was not the easiest to deal with but Tom provided advice to complete the transaction swiftly.
I am delighted with the service I received from Tom Marshall of Debenhams Ottaway in the matter of extending the lease of my flat. He had to deal with the freeholder’s agents, the equity release company who had a charge on the property, the Land Registry and myself. This was all accomplished efficiently and quickly with no fuss and the vital information was provided clearly. For once it was a delighted to pay the fees. I will be happy to recommend Debenhams Ottaway to others.
I was very pleased with the service I received from Tom during the sale of my property. He was very particular about every detail and always returned my calls promptly.
Tom Marshall dealt with the conveyancing of our property in May 2018. He was extremely efficient and carried out the work expertly, promptly and pleasantly. I would have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone wishing to use the services of a solicitor for this type of work.
We embarked upon a really straightforward lease renewal of a commercial property. In a short time it dissolved into your worst nightmare, but thanks to Tom we got through it. He was always available for advice and help. His phone rarely went to voicemail and if it did he rang straight back. Together we were victorious.
Many thanks for your exemplary service regarding the recent refinancing that you helped us with. You will always be our number one, for any legal issues we might have in the future.
We are a large country estate with over 100 tenants, a mix of residential, commercial and agricultural. We have used Tom on a number of occasions to assist with drawing up tenancy agreements and for broader property advice and have been really pleased with his service. He responds quickly and with good, clear advice.
Tom dealt with the sale of our family home. The sale was not straightforward as the estate was made up of a number of parcels of land and we also wanted to successfully transfer an employee to the new owners. The negotiations and discussions were a little complicated and intractable but Tom worked efficiently, confidently and calmly and was very helpful and clear with his advice. He was easy to contact by email and phone which made the sale less stressful, being able to have a sane discussion to provide a way forward.
Tom was recommended to me and he has never disappointed. A brilliant young solicitor with a very bright future. Thank you so much Tom.
Tom helped me throughout the whole process of selling my property and purchasing a new one. He was always at the end of the phone if needed to answer every question.