We are looking for a salaried partner to complement our ambitious and successful dispute resolution team of two partners, three senior associates, two associates, two junior level solicitors and a trainee. Ranked in tier 2 in the Legal 500, we have strong growth plans, aiming to double our turnover in the next three years whilst sticking to our key principals of developing our exceptional team and providing excellent client service.
The quality of our people and work speaks for itself. Our reputation is one of honesty and integrity, treating our clients and colleagues as we would like to be treated and doing the very best for them.
Type of clients
We regularly represent multi-national corporations with multi-million-pound turnovers, owner-managed businesses, celebrities and high net worth individuals.
Most of our high value complex litigation is referred to us by other professional advisers (such as accountants, brokers and other solicitors). They prefer us over larger City firms as we offer London quality expertise (most of our team is ex-City) at a much more competitive rate with an innovative approach to funding. Boutique litigation firms and London based firms also regularly refer us work where there is a conflict.
Our competitors aren’t local firms given the high value and complex work we do. We are a challenger to London dispute teams as we regularly act against them (and national firms) such as Edwin Coe, DAC Beachcroft, Shoosmiths, Eversheds, Hill Dickinson, DWF and Blake Morgan.
Progression, growth and opportunities
Growing and developing our future talent is a priority and we help our lawyers to develop specialisms and skills to succeed. This position is key to our growth plans and there are opportunities to progress to equity partnership by growing the work through successful business development and developing the team to service the clients.
Type of work
Our team advises on all aspects of commercial disputes, as well as insolvency commercial debt recovery, and property disputes. Our focus is on high quality work from high quality businesses.
Within our broad commercial litigation practice we cover the following areas:
- Commercial disputes
- Insolvency litigation
- Professional negligence claims
- Partnership, directors and shareholder disputes
- Company dissolutions
- Contractual disputes
- Debt recovery and fall outs arising out of personal guarantees
- Banking litigation
- Property litigation
- Contentious Trusts and Probate
- A partner or a senior lawyer at a London or equivalent firm.
- Good level of technical knowledge. Specialism in any of the above work types would be advantageous but not essential. We have a small property litigation and contentious trusts and probate offering but a suitable applicant need not have experience in these areas.
- A proven track record in establishing and developing client relationships and winning new clients, introducing new and referral business both to the team and the wider firm.
- A strong profile within the insolvency or finance (banking, private equity) community with strong networking relationship building skills.
- Ideally have an existing client network/base and a strong set of existing contacts.
- A client-centred focus at all times taking responsibility for the level of service and taking proactive steps to maximise and improve client relationships.
- A positive, and motivated attitude with a reputation for team building and developing relationships across all practice areas.
- Creative problem-solving ability and tenacity when it comes to meeting client objectives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience of and enthusiasm for team management and developing individuals to reach their full potential.
A little more about Debenhams Ottaway
Debenhams Ottaway is a progressive law firm with a long history and a reputation built on providing outstanding service and legal advice. Based in the heart of St Albans with a London presence, we help individuals, families and businesses in Hertfordshire, London and across the UK.
We believe passionately in building long term relationships with our clients and people. Our teams of talented and ambitious people work together to help clients succeed. You’ll join an exciting and demanding work environment that offers support and guidance to help you achieve your best. Our career framework gives you the opportunity to learn and develop in a structured but flexible way.
If you have the energy and imagination to make a difference and share our values, then Debenhams Ottaway is the perfect fit for your next challenge.
To apply for the role please send your CV to Alexandra Langley – email@example.com
We operate a preferred supplier list for all permanent, contract and temporary recruitment.
If you are interested in being part of our PSL, please email us and we will supply you with a copy of our terms.
We ask you not to send CVs or terms of business to or make contact with our staff, management or partners outside of HR, unless you have been authorised by our HR team to do so.
Any CVs sent contrary to this policy will will not be accepted as introductions in accordance with any terms of business that are sent to us and/or our terms. We reserve the right to make direct contact with the candidate without entering into your TOB. Agencies who are part of our PSL found bypassing this process may result in us terminating our working relationship with you.
All CVs need to be sent to Alexandra Langley at our recruitment email address – firstname.lastname@example.org