We are looking for a legal secretary to work as part of the Commercial Property team delivering the highest levels of service to our clients by providing secretarial and administrative support to a minimum of 2 lawyers.
This is a full time or part time position (working a minimum of 3 days per week).
The day to day weighting and combination of responsibilities listed below may vary from one team to another depending on the needs of that team and their clients.
- Answer the telephone and assist clients with enquiries when the lawyer is not available
- Meet clients who call into the office without an appointment on behalf of the lawyers, answer queries, take messages and make file notes
- Open and close client files consistent with standard procedures including performing online money laundering checks, and assisting with any manual money laundering and risk management checks
- Liaise with clients as directed
- Maintain lawyers’ diaries and make appointments
- Organise internal and external meetings including meeting room bookings and refreshments
- Manage outgoing post and emails
- Maintain internal and client files to ensure they are up-to-date at all times
- Undertake typing for lawyers
- Drafting of standard letters and forms for the lawyer’s approval
- General document management such as requesting and logging deeds coming in and out of the firm
- Collate work received from the outsourced typing company including arranging necessary enclosures ready to send out
- Liaise with the accounts team to ensure timely and accurate accounts administration, making transaction requisitions through the peppermint system (our practice management system) and to include receiving cheques, entering on file and passing to accounts
- Input client and potential client contact details into peppermint and/or isokon (probate case management system) and hoowla (residential case management system)
- Undertake administrative tasks such as photocopying and file archiving
- Create and maintain a tidy and well organised office environment
- Ensure any faults with the team’s IT, telephones and printers are reported
- Work as part of a team, assisting with wider secretarial and telephone cover as required.
- Undertake tasks in connection with client/administrative matters, including any risk management tasks relating the clients and matters.
- Comply, adopt and be familiar with firm policies and procedures
Skills and attributes
- Secretarial experience in a law firm is desirable
- Property experience (residential or commercial) is essential
- Strong and confident client relationship experience and skills
- Good understanding of client service
A good understanding of the context in which the work is being done
- Fast and accurate keyboard skills
- Good grasp of grammar and spelling
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Computer literacy in relevant software packages
- Experience of using a practice/case management system
- High level organisation and administration skills including the ability to prioritise work
- Ability to take direction, instructions and feedback in a positive manner
- Ability to cope with pressure and maintain a calm manner at all times
- Good time keeping
- Attention to detail
- Trustworthy and reliable
To apply for the role please send your CV to Alexandra Langley – email@example.com
We operate a preferred supplier list for all permanent, contract and temporary recruitment.
If you are interested in being part of our PSL, please email us and we will supply you with a copy of our terms.
We ask you not to send CVs or terms of business to or make contact with our staff, management or partners outside of HR, unless you have been authorised by our HR team to do so.
Any CVs sent contrary to this policy will will not be accepted as introductions in accordance with any terms of business that are sent to us and/or our terms. We reserve the right to make direct contact with the candidate without entering into your TOB. Agencies who are part of our PSL found bypassing this process may result in us terminating our working relationship with you.
All CVs need to be sent to Alexandra Langley at our recruitment email address – firstname.lastname@example.org