Sitting within our successful, young and ambitious corporate and commercial team, we are actively looking to expand the team with the recruitment of a junior corporate lawyer to help manage the increasing workload and maintain client service.
As part of a larger law firm, we offer our clients an integrated service working with our property, employment, litigation, commercial and private client specialists to provide a rounded client experience.
Type of work
You will be involved in all aspects of corporate work such as mergers and acquisitions, share schemes, secured financing arrangements, share buy backs, bespoke articles of association and shareholder investments/agreements. Our M&A work is varied across multiple sectors with purchases prices up to circa £20m.
We work with some impressive businesses who instruct us on a wide range of high-quality corporate work. With the growing reputation of the team, we have a good referral network for London clients as well as regional clients.
We mainly help medium-sized owner-managed businesses and high net worth individuals but we also work with some large organisations including a national pharmaceutical company and well known banks.
Our clients come from a range of sectors but over the years we have developed a focus in healthcare, charities and private wealth and play a key role in these firmwide sector teams:
- Healthcare: we have strengthened our position in the sector by developing relationships with significant operators and acting on care home and pharmacy transactions.
- Charities: we work with local and national incorporated charities on mergers, constitutional, administrative and contractual matters and the formation of new charities, including charitable incorporated organisations (CIOs)
- Private wealth: we help wealthy entrepreneurs and family businesses either with family succession planning or to ensure their wealth is protected and maximised on the sale of their business.
- A minimum of 3 years PQE with a high level of corporate technical knowledge across different sectors and a genuine enthusiasm to focus on corporate work.
- Creative problem-solving ability, commercial insight working as an extension of the client’s business to provide commercial, practical advice with their business needs and objectives in mind.
- A client-centred focus, taking responsibility for service levels and proactively maximising and improving client relationships.
- A can-do, motivated and positive attitude.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
A little more about Debenhams Ottaway
Debenhams Ottaway is a progressive law firm with a long history and a reputation built on providing outstanding service and legal advice. Based in the heart of St Albans, we help individuals, families and businesses in Hertfordshire, London and across the UK.
We believe passionately in building long term relationships with our clients and people. Our teams of talented and ambitious people work together to help clients succeed. You’ll join an exciting and demanding work environment that offers support and guidance to help you achieve your best. Our career framework gives you the opportunity to learn and develop in a structured but flexible way.
If you have the energy and imagination to make a difference and share our values, then Debenhams Ottaway is the perfect fit for your next challenge.
To apply for the role please send your CV to Alexandra Langley – firstname.lastname@example.org
We operate a preferred supplier list for all permanent, contract and temporary recruitment.
If you are interested in being part of our PSL, please email us and we will supply you with a copy of our terms.
We ask you not to send CVs or terms of business to or make contact with our staff, management or partners outside of HR, unless you have been authorised by our HR team to do so.
Any CVs sent contrary to this policy will will not be accepted as introductions in accordance with any terms of business that are sent to us and/or our terms. We reserve the right to make direct contact with the candidate without entering into your TOB. Agencies who are part of our PSL found bypassing this process may result in us terminating our working relationship with you.
All CVs need to be sent to Alexandra Langley at our recruitment email address – email@example.com