We are looking for a salaried partner to join our family team of an equity partner, two associates, one junior level solicitor and a trainee. Ranked in tier 1 in Legal 500 and tier 2 in Chambers UK, our family team sits at the heart of Debenhams Ottaway’s premium private wealth sector.
Our family team needs to grow to take advantage of existing opportunities and develop new ones. The quality of our people and work speaks for itself. Our reputation is one of honesty and integrity, treating our clients and colleagues as we would like to be treated and doing the very best for them.
Progression, growth and opportunities
Growing and developing our future talent is a priority and we help our lawyers to develop specialisms and skills to succeed. This position is key to our growth and succession plans. With full autonomy and support, access to an extensive client base and working directly with our private wealth partners, there are opportunities to progress to equity partnership by growing the family work through successful business development and developing the team to service the clients.
Type of work
Much of our work is advising, often wealthy, clients on complex financial issues in divorce proceedings.
We also advise on:
- Pre and post nuptial agreements
- Cases involving children of separating couples, particularly where there are international issues
- Agreements for cohabiting couples and TOLATA cases
- Disputes concerning children
- International relocation
- Collaborative process
Type of clients
Our impressive client base is much more comparable to London firms than other regionals and we often come up against notable firms, such as Irwin Mitchell, Russell-Cooke, Taylor Wessing and Stewarts on the other side.
As a key part of the firm’s wider private wealth sector, we work with other teams in the firm to provide our high net worth clients, including city professionals, celebrities and successful entrepreneurs, with a bespoke and fully integrated service.
Much of our work comes from clients who have recommended us to friends and family. They like our honest and transparent approach and trust us to help the people they care about. Equally we have very strong relationships with leading financial advisers who refer their clients knowing their relationship will only be strengthened by the service we offer. We also continue to receive referrals from accountants, banks and other family lawyers where there is conflict.
- A minimum of 7 years PQE with a good level of technical knowledge across all areas of family law.
- A client-centred focus at all times taking responsibility for the level of service and taking proactive steps to maximise and improve client relationships.
- A proven track record in establishing and developing client relationships and winning new clients, introducing new and referral business both to the family team and the wider firm.
- A strong profile within the family law community and/or the local area, with strong networking relationship building skills.
- A positive, and motivated attitude with a reputation for team building and developing relationships across all practice areas.
- Creative problem-solving ability and tenacity when it comes to meeting client objectives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience of and enthusiasm for team management and developing individuals to reach their full potential.
- Ideally have an existing client network/base and a strong set of existing contacts.
A little more about Debenhams Ottaway
Debenhams Ottaway is a progressive law firm with a long history and a reputation built on providing outstanding service and legal advice. Based in the heart of St Albans with a London presence, we help individuals, families and businesses in Hertfordshire, London and across the UK.
We believe passionately in building long term relationships with our clients and people. Our teams of talented and ambitious people work together to help clients succeed. You’ll join an exciting and demanding work environment that offers support and guidance to help you achieve your best. Our career framework gives you the opportunity to learn and develop in a structured but flexible way.
If you have the energy and imagination to make a difference and share our values, then Debenhams Ottaway is the perfect fit for your next challenge.
To apply for the role please send your CV to Alexandra Langley – firstname.lastname@example.org
We operate a preferred supplier list for all permanent, contract and temporary recruitment.
If you are interested in being part of our PSL, please email us and we will supply you with a copy of our terms.
We ask you not to send CVs or terms of business to or make contact with our staff, management or partners outside of HR, unless you have been authorised by our HR team to do so.
Any CVs sent contrary to this policy will will not be accepted as introductions in accordance with any terms of business that are sent to us and/or our terms. We reserve the right to make direct contact with the candidate without entering into your TOB. Agencies who are part of our PSL found bypassing this process may result in us terminating our working relationship with you.
All CVs need to be sent to Alexandra Langley at our recruitment email address – email@example.com